Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Don't worry I'm not buying that Harley... yet...

Holy bajeezus I am sorry!!! I don’t know whom exactly I’m apologizing to, mostly myself for not keeping up with my pledge to write like I wanted, but also to those of you out there who care enough to keep up with me and my thoughts, I’m sorry for being so neglectful of this blog. There are a plethora of excuses I could throw out there for not updating more frequently, but what it comes right down to is laziness. So, for the final time, I’m sorry!!

The difficult thing about maintaining a blog that I’ve noticed, however, is that I feel a certain pressure to only blog about “interesting” things. What I lack in artistic creativity, I need to make up for in interesting themes and topics, so as you can imagine, it’s not until I have that sort of “ah-HA!” (light bulb goes off above my head) moments before I can muster up the courage to sit down and write about something I feel both passionate about, and yet think is interesting enough for other people to want to read about it too.

Unfortunately, today is not one of those days. I don’t have some sort of unique topic that nobody has ever thought about before that I’m going to wittily jabber away about. Today’s blog post will be a bit more personal, and yet universal to everyone. Today’s topic is the ever-notorious, midlife crisis.

There are stereotypes for everything, and a midlife crisis is not excluded from that. When I think about the type of person who should get a midlife crisis, my mind immediately jumps to a scene from one of my favorite films, Father of the Bride 2. George Banks (played by Steve Martin) finds out that he is going to be a grandfather. While the rest of the family celebrates the miracle of life, George dyes his hair, purchases a sports car, tries to woo a supermodel, and purchases racy and seductive lingerie in an attempt to reenact a honeymoon-sequel evening for his wife, Nina (Diane Keaton). While these are clearly exaggerated examples embellished for comedic effect, the root of the issue is still tangible: we are inherently afraid of not accomplishing everything we ever wanted out of life.

So why, at the age of 21, am I talking about this being a personal and universal experience?? Well, because for the past several days, I too, have been having my very own “quarter-life” crisis.

My problem, however, isn’t that I’m worried I won’t have time to do the things I want, but rather, that I don’t even know what it is that I want to do, and NOW should be the time to do it!! Several factors contributed to this all-too traumatic experience of mine. The first is that it’s May. Why is May such a daunting month you ask?? Because it means that summer is upon us. And what happens every summer?? It goes too quickly. And suddenly, it’s fall again. And if you don’t believe me, ask yourself, when was summer vacation ever TOO long??

Exactly.

So, keeping in mind that logic, that means it’s practically already fall. I am going to be a college graduate at the end of fall. And as we all know, the quarter system (that UC Davis is on) expedites things and makes time seemingly fly by since there is so much work to be done in such a short amount of time. So, using all of these really logical and scientifically accurate depictions of time that I’ve already established, I’m already a college graduate and have no idea what I want to do with my degree, where I want to live, what kind of person do I want to be.

Do I want to live a life of financial stability, but simultaneously sell my soul and work ungodly hours for some multinational company that sees me as a dispensable migrant worker??

Or do I want to engage myself in things that I enjoy and never truly commit to any one career path, which will ultimately lead to living paycheck to paycheck, probably without kids, because I couldn’t support them the way they deserve to be, and live like a nomad.

Or, will I be one of the very few and fortunate people who actually finds a job they like AND that pays well without being overworked to death, and can find that serene balance between work and play and happiness that I desire so much. As much as I want this last option, the problem still remains that I have no idea what this mystery dream job could be!

Anyway, I know most people don’t like to read this much, and I think I’ve already made my point, so I’m going to stop talking before this argument spirals out of control. But, if you happen to be a therapist, or just have any sort of words of advice that you’d be willing to lend, I’m more than eager to listen.

Thanks for reading, and here’s to hoping it’s not another light-year before I update again :p Till next time.

HBP

No comments:

Post a Comment