Sunday, April 4, 2010

Return to blogging and random uninteressting things...

Hello folks,

Sorry about the hiatus! Like I mentioned in the post before, I recently got back to Berlin, and was entertaining my Mom all week by doing tourist stuff, so I’ve had very little time to actually sit down and write. And before I write any more, can anyone explain to me why all my pictures and youtube videos that I upload get cut-off so that you can only see the left half of it?? If anyone would be so kind as to let me know how to correct this problem, I would appreciate it a lot!!

So I’ve had a difficult time deciding what my triumphant return post to blogging would be. There are SO many options right now that I can hardly keep them all straight. Most of my “good ideas” are pretty profound and require a lot of thinking and typing and research, so for the moment I’m going to pass on those and just keep it simple, until I slowly come back into the world of blogging.

So, with that in mind, the topic for the day is “globalization,” but not in the big sense of the word, but rather on a more individual level. Take for instance, you. Yes, you (one of my 11 readers…). Look around you, wherever that may be: your bedroom, your kitchen, your office… Can you identify where everything came from?? Most people just assume it comes from China, but put aside that assumption for the moment and really take a good look around. So much of what we own comes from all over the world! Not that I was alive then, but I’m assuming even 50 years ago most things came locally, or at least within the nation you lived in. For instance, right now I’m in my kitchen here in Berlin and this is what I see and use every day:
German bread, butter from Denmark, tea from India, cutlery designed in Sweden but created in China, an apron from Australia, fruit from Turkey, chocolates from Holland, coffee beans grown in Sumatra but roasted in Seattle, a Christmas gift from my Aunt in Canada, extra virgin olive oil from Italy, flowers from the Vietnamese woman down the street, and peanut butter that boasts its value as “American quality.”

I agree, it’s not really THAT interesting, but it is a bit mind boggling to stop and consider to what degree globalization has changed our society and to what degree one can truly find comfort and familiarity, even when you’re 11,000 miles from “home.”

So anyway, I’m curious to know how you all feel about globalization, and whether or not you feel that it helps or hinders national identities. Take care and look forward to my next blog that I’m working really hard on: the topic of factory farmed animals.

Till next time,

HBP

No comments:

Post a Comment